Sunday, August 11, 2013

Ava Grace

Our sweet little Ava Grace finally made her appearance on July 23rd @ 8:16 pm ( I was due July 16th). I was absolutely sure that she was coming early and as I came upon 40 weeks and 1 day, then 2 days, and 3, and on and on...I just thought maybe my body doesn't go into labor. Maybe it takes medicine. Riley was late and induced. I felt pretty good until about 40 weeks and 5 days, then I was finally just tired and really ready to meet this girl. I tried telling myself there was no reason to rush having 2 little knuckleheads running my life, but as most pregnant women know, in the end, each day makes you more and more impatient. These girls, they just get so comfy.

I had an appointment with my doctor on July 23rd, exactly 41 weeks and we set a date for induction for that friday. After the appointment I had what I thought was irregular, but constant cramping the rest of the day. Robby, Riley, and I went to a late lunch on Shelter Island. After we ordered our lunch and as I saw people walking around with delicious looking ice cream cones, I realized my body was telling me it was a better idea to call the triage nurse and run how I was feeling by them instead of filling myself with fish tacos and ice cream. Something was definitely happening for me to pass up good food.

For all of you L&D girlfriends of mine and such, if you want more details I'll fill you in anytime, but to make a long story short: I checked in at 5 pm, had my water broken at 7 pm, and delivered just after 8 pm...narrowly avoiding giving birth in the bathroom, which as an ER nurse was my biggest and most potentially embarrassing fear. It was very quick. Ava and mama were healthy. And now we have made room in our hearts for a second beautiful girl.

Her name means bird-like, which is very appropriate, since as she wakes up she lets out a dramatic sounding squawk. She has a couple of similarities to her sister, like the area between her lower lip and chin and parts of her nose. I do have to say, she did look a little over-baked initially. Sorry if you look back on this one day girl, but I'm not sure if it was the hormones, but I remember thinking that Riley looked perfect, and with you Ava, I remember thinking you looked like a little old man. Don't worry, day by day you have become more delicate and feminine. One of my favorite physical attributes is the shape of her head as it extends into her graceful looking neck.

I am so excited to see this little bird of ours grow, but I do wish she'd stay this size forever. She took some time to grow on me. Now as she is about two and a half weeks old, all that I can say is that she and her sister make me have chest pain. The love in my heart exceeds itself in a way that it must be pushing on the walls of my heart, because I swear I have pressure in my chest, but in a positive way.












 A few shots since we've been at home...










No comments:

Post a Comment